Thursday, October 18, 2007

My Second Demo !!! ..... A Seriously Disaster!

Well this is the second demo that i gave in my second semester....Our project was related to a searchengine .....which used almost all the dataStructures whihc were present....Through God's Grace I had completed the project through hook-or-crook..... The day of my project was nearing....and I was never so tensed or upset to give a normal demo![well half of our time its like we keep giving so many seminars that i lost stage fear..... but always miss to show some hand gestures :) ]....Gossssh! we heard that we had two eavluators for our demo..... this increased my fear......and I was the first person to give the demo in my team.....and i dont know whether I was lucky to be the first or .....my luck was in vain ????
....The System was booted properly by my team mate...and the demo had to be started ......
I took a deep breath and start off with a "jhkaaas" introduction.....I started with the procedure of how a searchengine works etc.
I managed to skip the evaluators eyes for a while a thought that I was able to handle it better if not in the wrong direction...I was able to divert my evaluators attention completely...into the project and then...started executing the project.....everythiong went well...and then came the most important things in the demo......the viva............ahhhhhhahhhhhhh!..
I will not name my evaluators.....lets say ...they are Mrs. X and Ms. Y...Ms.Y is actually our senior who is working as a temporary TA in our college....She is placed in TCS and IBM.... and Mrs.X is a full time Mentor...and our team evaluator..
.... The firing started...
1. whatt is manner in which you are trying to seggregate the words,urls,images etc from the website.....?
I answered the entire procedure...of the indexer,crawler and the search...
2. Why are you saving the data from the datastructures into a file(...well file is our database here) and then again calling the data from the file into the data structure...
I managed to answer something...but it was not the correct answer...and i cam eto know that as my other teammates were answering !
3. What is a hash function????
....[this is something which I knew very well....the answer came ....but i was unable to speak it out and i was standing like a dumb girl in front of every one...and was trying to look around at all my teammates..... they wern't giving me any signal also....]
4. Show me the code for your hash function and the tree structure.?
I scrolled my code down......and they watched....then suddenly Ms.Y posed one Q,
did you code this ??? ...i said yes madam
Well can you explain that to me ??? I said yes again and just started string at the code.... everything was blamk for me.... I was more amused to see taht code and then thought for a while..... did I code this stufff????? and immediately another madam said..... If you have coded this why are you unable to explain ? I said ... I coded that madam...but..... (and was dumb again )...then she probably was damn angry at me and said ... did you copy....??? ... I was shocked to hear that...only one thing was lingering in my mind ..... How could she say like that ???? ....I was shocked to hear that only tears were left ..... nothing else..... i just saw others sitting mumb...
Then another question was fired..... What type of tree are you using inyour datastructures part.. ?
I said , Binary tree...
Are you sure ?
....hmmm I mean,I am using Binary Search tree madam...
Ok! What is the difference between binary tree and binary search tree ?
I said, BT is a tree that has maximum of two children . And immediately she said... then what is BST used for.. ? I told, BST is used to search efficiently ...
she said again, then you mean that BT is not BST ...
In confusion , i said yes. And I was unable to even think and give the correct answer also...
Then, what is hash function...?
I told them about hash table, which was wrong answer..
She was totally fumed up!
and then started asking me , wht does Finite state machine mean ?
I answered her question.
She asked me to draw a FSM for one type of FSM given. Wrote that also (but i dint know how far that was right!)
Then she asked me why we use FSM... i said ..to build compilers.
She said to conclude..
I said ...from this project I have learnt to see the code first beforing giving the demo..
She was fumed up again...and said... You havent learnt anything else in java ?
I said, Yes... i learnt about datastructues in java......In heart of heart i was cursing .....as to why i am the first person to give the demo.... and then the smile was on....and i stated that the project was good way to learnt java.....
She said ...Ok ...you may leave...
I was too happy as soon as she told me to leave.... It was like heaven for me to get back to my place.....................and then came my next team mate chance........which was just like me....

No comments: